View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #15
Myoung73

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8URLYF View Post
I am also a newbie and have not taken possession of my car (2003 Boxster S). I have been researching options for connecting an mp3 player or phone to the stereo, and I'm starting to think that an FM transmitter with bluetooth could be my best/least expensive/easiest option (other than replacing the whole stereo)? I was wondering if anyone has experience with this? We have a four hour drive home, the car does not have a CD changer, and I don't want to go back to the days of carrying multiple CDs in the car. Is something that plugs into a DC slot the same as plugging something into the cigarette lighter of the Boxster? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

This is what I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Smartphones/dp/B018E0I01I/ref=sr_1_3?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1456840358&sr=1-3#Ask
Yes bluetooth FM transmitter is your best option for simplicity. Here is what I have (I also have an 03S, not that it matters).

Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Bluetooth In-Car FM Transmitter with USB Charging , Multipoint , Music Controls & Hands-Free Calling - Works with Apple , Samsung , LG & More Smartphones , Tablets , MP3 Players: Car Electronics

This is the second one I tried. The first had a humming noise and didn’t work as well. So far this one has been good. You are not going to get great sound out of the stock stereo anyway, so the bluetooth / FM loss is not that big of a deal. Usually sounds decent. It also has forward, back and play / pause buttons as well which I use a lot when playing / streaming through my phone. Another thing to keep in mind is the dc outlet is not switched off on the box when you switch off the car, and this one has a little power button on the end of the base which you can easily push to turn the unit off when you are leaving the car. This is a must unless you want to have to pull the unit out of the dc adapter, which would not be good. And the unit is pretty bright so you usually won’t have a problem forgetting to turn it off when you get out of the car. It also has a USB port which I use to plug my iPhone charger into (the one you are looking at also has), so I can charge my phone while streaming music and/or using it for navigation. Can obviously also take calls over the bluetooth adapter as well.

FYI, I also have one of these which I use to hold my phone. It works really well in the top left vent on the center console on the box.

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe | Portable Smartphone Car Mount (Non Phablets) | Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Good luck!
Myoung73 is offline   Reply With Quote