View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I would invest in a durametric and see what values you are getting for timing or codes for misfires etc.
A regular ODBII scanner won't show all the other good Porsche codes.

With this little info it would be hard to know where to start and just replacing everything till you get the faulty part could be costly on a Porsche.

IF it is misfiring it could be coil packs, Crank position sensor, spark wires on on wrong plugs, sliipped timing chain, air leaks, MAF, throttle position sensor, wiring fault(broken or grounded or no ground), loose sensor/computer connector etc
Quote:
I'll invest in a Durametric. I've been using an iCarsoft POR II.
Good move buying the Durametric.

Odd that it would run that badly and not have a code.

I know how it feels to have a 'new' car sitting there, not running right. Do not rush and blindly attack it from all sides. Have a process and troubleshoot. You sound like you know the basics.

I'd recommend not running it any more than you have to to troubleshoot it. Bad misfires can be hard on the engine.

Some productive things to do while you wait for the Durametric:
Replace all the spark plugs - not too expensive and probably about due anyway.
>>>Edit: just re-read where you said the PO already replaced them. Still worth verifying they are new/correct/connected right.<<<
Check the vacuum tubing to see if it it brittle. On my 01 as I replaced one section, another broke. Replace it all while you have down time.
I think this diagram is for the 00-04, but mostly the same:

Totally unrelated to the problem, but worth doing: remove the front bumper and clean the radiators. See youtube for a few examples.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-21-2016 at 12:43 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote