View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaude View Post
Hello there 986Forum folks,

I've done the 996 gauge cluster swap.. all is working well, except my gas gauge. My 996 cluster is off about a 1/4 tank of gas.. It fills fine.. but goes down too slowly. Like I'll go 250 miles on a half tank of gas.... I'm wondering if my fuel gauge is bad. I looked up the part number of the cluster and it's a C2 one... Not a turbo.. Can't tell if it's a c4 though. I'm getting into the EEPROM and was wondering if anyone knows it there is a calibration number to tweak?

Thanks!
...Joe
996's require fuel level calibration. The tank has to be drained dry, then filled to a fixed level, then the unit is calibrated using a PST II, PIWIS, or Durametric system.

1. Disconnect the battery and cover terminal or battery.
2. Remove cap over the fuel level sensor system.
3. Remove fuel level sensor. (attached to the fuel pump inside the tank).
4. Using a fuel extractor, completely drain the fuel tank through the fuel level sensor opening.
5. Make sure that the two recesses on the left and right−hand sides of the tank are emptied completely.
6. Reinstall the fuel level sensor and, with "ignition off", fill the tank with 28 liters of fuel.
7. Perform tank calibration with the Porsche System PIWIS Tester:
· Select vehicle type
· Select control modules
· Select instrument cluster
· Select menu item "Tank calibration"
· Confirm calibration
8. The fuel level sensor system has now been calibrated.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-13-2016 at 11:35 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote