View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #20
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
So my question is, do you guys think the 986 would be a good car to do what I have done to my other cars? Pick up a roller for around $2500, focus the money on making the engine reliable (seriously considering a rebuilt and upgraded 2.9L from a company like Raby). Can you see a 986 with all of the engine issues resolved, everything works, and is well-taken care of selling for around $20K in the next 5-7 years? I can see that happening.

Your thoughts?
As a hobby I have bought, worked on, and sold cars. Lots of Hondas: Del Sols, CR-Vs, CRX, Civic, and a couple V6 Accords. My goal has been to have it pay for itself. With the Hondas, I learned a lot and made enough to collect some tools and still come out a few hundred to a thousand dollars ahead on each sold or parted & scrapped car.

I now have four Boxsters and a parts car. The parts car provided me with a decent 2.7L engine, and already paid for itself in other parts sold and reused. The four driving Boxsters are currently worth about what I have spent on them considering maintenance, repair, and administrative costs. I can expect to spend $1,500 a year on (mostly) DIY maintenance on each car every year. In the 5-7 year time frame that is $7,500 to $10,500 each. My chances of selling for a profit do not look good.

The other day as I walked out of my house and saw three (covered) in the driveway and one in the garage I thought, "If I sold all of these, I could buy a really nice car!" Then I climbed in, put the top down and went for a drive through the twistys.

Last edited by 78F350; 12-31-2015 at 08:07 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote