View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
Porsche9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I don't think the deep-pocketed buyer of either 600+ HP car is really looking to drive either of these cars like actual sports cars.
That's the German sports car market in a nut shell, ditto for $5-$10K mountain bikes that never see a trail.
Deep pocket buyers will be going for Tesla Model S or Porsche Mission E primarily because of the mix of technology and instant power on hand.
I don't think there's any way of avoiding the fact that the top Tesla option and the Mission E will be cross-shopped by those who can afford these cars.
Which means the Mission E is going to have to blow the doors off Tesla P100D or whatever, if its going to cost 4x's as much.
Porsche separates itself in the market by being the sportest of the cars/SUVs in it's segment. We will have to see what they actually bring to market. Right now that's not clear with rumors being that it could even be the next 911.

Porsche also actually makes money on the cars they sell. Right now Tesla does not and it's not clear when/if they will. The new Model X (lookswise it's a turd) in my opinion isn't going to fix that. Believe me I'm routing for Tesla but succeeding in the car making business is exceedingly difficult. I can't think of a new car company succeeding in recent history.

BTW, Apple wasn't always first to market (iPod, iPad, etc.) but have many times taken a concept and been able to excute on it much better then their competitors and bring to market products people want at a premium price. Porsche wasn't close to being first to the market with SUV's but I think we can all agreed they have been successful.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote