View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
Really? I've been reading and a lot of people continue to drive and not worry about a few drips.

I replaced my oil filter tonight and checked for metal - nothing. So if the IMS was failing nothing is showing yet.
No oil leaks are good news, and some are definitely worse than others. An oil leak from say a cam cover could be tolerated for a period of time without major consequences (we often have to point them out to otherwise oblivious customers), an oil leak in the bell housing area is an entirely different subject. Two things can leak in the bell housing: Your RMS and your IMS. Neither will get better with time, and both are potentially shortening the life of your clutch and dual mass flywheel. Add in that an IMS leak could be an early sign of its pending demise, particularly if the leak is from the center bolt rather than the flange seals. With a clutch disc and pressure plate retailing for around $500, and the flywheel nearly $1K, a leaking $20 RMS seal can get very expensive, particularly if you have to add in shop labor to replace them.