View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootlegger View Post
The UCI has been taking their time (dragging their feet?) on allowing disc brakes in the pro peloton. The rim brakes currently in use are far inferior to the technology available. Quite simply, the cyclist was traveling way too fast and the car (and motorcycles) should not have been in their space. I just read he was still hospitalized. All competitive mountain bikes come with disc brakes and they work. That was a scary situation/collision.
disc brakes stop much better but when they fail the result can be catastrophic.
Highly unlikely to be an issue for a competitive rider who has his bike strictly maintained by a team mechanic. But for recreational riders you really have to be on top of them, they're prone to contamination and most cyclists simply don't know how to thoroughly service them and as a result don't as often they should be. One blogger wrote an article about how his new disc brakes failed during a descent like this, he said he was certain he was going to go over a cliff if memory serves. It was enough for me to stay with the old school brakes on my road bike and simply descend with more caution.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote