View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
Britrover

Question Fixing the irritating clunk

Hi –I am battling an irritating issue with my 98 986 and looking to find the root cause as mechanics have varying opinions. My vehicle makes a loud clunk as I pull out of my driveway which is at a slight slope, the same clunk happens when goes over bumps.

1. PPI was done at the dealership and they had mentioned the front shocks were toast. (I've changed every single part in the front suspension so everything is brand new)

2. Took it to one of the German mechanics I use after fixing the front suspension and he said it is the mounts, rear shocks and rear sway bar links (Changed all three mounts the clunk is still there)

3. Tried to get an opinion from another mechanic, he made me sit in the car and simply shake the steering wheel up and down, we reproduced the clunk at a lower pitch. Per him, this is the clunk I hear really loud over bumps. He also said there are rattles and noises from the rear suspension, but the clunk is coming from the steering column.

I have searched the forum and not seeing much information on this fix. Tried a Google search, and I am coming up with is a rubber coupling tends to age or wear out on other cars, but nothing called out for the Porsche 986.

Can someone please help me with this query? Looking to better understand what parts are potentially worn out in the steering column or is the only option might be to get an entire steering column which would seem highly unlikely. I would like to target the source of the clunk first to get it sorted, but do plan to get the rear suspension sorted as well.

Looking to add: Ferrari 328 GTS | Classic Rolls Royce
Britrover is offline   Reply With Quote