View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #20
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
So you took the end out of the 90mm MAF, jerry rigged it in the 75mm original MAF, which you then reused. The air box is mounted without all the grommets and screw, and the tubing although larger than stock is still reduce throughout. Why did you bother?

You could have got the same air flow improvement out of the original air box by de-snorkeling, replacing the original inlet tube with a 3" smooth pipe with no chambers, and a high flow air filter.

The improvement for this mod come from using the 90mm MAF and 3-1/2" air inlet tube.

The metal above the MAF inlet joint need dented up about 1/2" (Brad Roberts told Kram this needed to be done in his previous posts about this mod) All the screws and grommets can then be mounted along with the 987 MAF. 1, 3.5" coupling sleeve from eBay. 1, 3.5" to 3.25" 90 degree elbow from eBay, 1, 8" x 3.5" aluminum air tub from eBay use about 4", 4, 85mm - 100mm clamps I use 4 stock 987 intake clamps. No glue no epoxy no rigged connector. The tune from a 2004 986-550 Spyder

What isn't mentioned is the cross flow tube need removed, TB needs removed, plenum needs removed, the drive side intake need removed, fuel rail needs disconnected, wire harness needs unclipped from plugs injectors and sensor on the driver side and pulled back. Driver side air grill and the snorkel need removed. before you can remove or install the old air box and the 987 air box. To improve access to the lower part taking off the driver side rear wheel and wheel inter liner help along with the driver side header pipes.

Or remove or drop the engine 2-3".
"jerry rigged"? I'll have you know that's the most professional looking 987 air box to stock 986 MAF I've ever seen. Why did I bother? 20 HP gain for not much money is why.

This is "jerry rigged".

Are you just a complainer? Did you not read my post as to why I did it this way? I also gave the links on how the installs are done and then posted the parts needed.

Your in a dream world if you think a 986 air box with a high flow filter is going to match the air flow the 987 air box will deliver, even with using the stock 986 MAF housing. My car is so much faster after this intake upgrade I have to get new brakes as I'm hitting the corners at such a higher rate of speed, the stock brakes are not cutting it, even with the "restrictions" and no tune needed.

Question asked, Best Bang for Buck Mod. So do you want to spend $200 on a UPD for 5 hp gain or spend $300 and get 20 HP? The car roars at WOT with the snorkel on, runs better through the hole RPM range. This is a Mod you will feel, UPD, not so much.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-01-2015 at 05:47 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote