Thread: Skip the IMS??
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Unless I missed something this is a 2004 Boxster with a single row 6204 bearing. I bought the Pelican bearing and am running the nut and bolt in my box. Far superior to stock. I did not favor the NSK bearing that came with the kit as it was not fully sealed. I sourced a Nachi 6204-2NSE a fully sealed high temp bearing with Viton seals instead of Buna-N used in the NSK bearing. Or, you might try an S6204 ceramic open bearing, they run about $80 instead of $10, make sure you get Si3N4 (silicon nitride) with a steel race. Search for 6204 bearing and bearing retail sites will come up with what you need for a few bucks. The OEM bearing was nothing special so it's easily replaced with the same or better.
D@mn... Now I want to pull out the Pelican bearing I put in and swap it for one of those. Oh well, maybe after I put on 20K miles or so and change out all the chain ramps.

Seriously thinking of picking up a spare 2.7 and just rotate it through my 2 cars. Swap one out each year or two, do maintenance and swap it into the next car due.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote