View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A few notes on my 20" wheels

My '01 has 20” wheels that were on it when I bought it. I really like the look, but I would not recommend it to anyone looking to change to a bigger wheel.
The rear wheels are 20x11 ET52 with 275/30ZR20, the front tires are 225/30ZR20 (forgot to note the wheel size when I had them off) and the ride is actually pretty good.
There is very little clearance on the suspension, but nothing rubs unless I am going very fast through a dip.
While I had a rear wheel off today to diagnose a clicking sound I made a few observations.

At first I thought that the click was from a tie-rod end or ball joint, but then I isolated it to the rear wheel. It turned out to be a small bur on the wheel hitting the e-brake cable as it passed. I scraped off the bur then, wrapped and zip-tied the cable onto the trailing arm. (See pics below.) The cable could easily chafe on the wheel if left free.

The rear struts have an indentation (hammered?) to give the wheels better clearance. A little disturbing, but it seems to work. (See the last pic.)

I put one wheel & tire on a bathroom scale to see how much it weighs. It was 64 lbs! In comparison, my 18s with tire weigh 45 lbs. That has to rob some performance to get those things turning.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-09-2015 at 10:22 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote