View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
MNBoxster

Hi,

Just a reminder when flushing your Brake Fluid. Make sure you also bleed/flush the Clutch Hydraulics at the same time. On the Boxster, these two systems share the same fluid reservoir and failing to flush both systems will result in contaminating the new fluid. True, without doing this you'll still be better off than before, because you got most (say 60/40) of the old fluid out, but you will shorten it's useful life. I checked the Dealer Service Procedure and this is not listed as a To Do, which surprises me quite a bit, but I suppose they feel the effect is minmal since the Clutch MC draws fluid from the reservoir only as needed and doesn't circulate.

In a Car without ABS, the Brake Fluid sits fairly stagnant in the Brake lines, but with ABS, the Fluid is circulated through the system by the ABS pump, so the Crap gets circulated along with it, although the fluid in the Clutch Hydraulics does tend to be stagnant. Be sure to bleed from each Caliper (starting from the Caliper furthest away from the Reservoir - Left Rear and work your way to the closest) to remove any bad Fluid which can be sitting in each. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote