View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvani View Post

5) To my surprise as well (based on what I had read in this forum and Rennlist), this swap was not a time-consuming nightmare. I think the bottom line is (as with everything in life), that if you know what you are doing (as SSI Performance did) and you are methodical/systematic, any task can unfold pretty smoothly.
Then perhaps you should venture over to RennTech, where there is a tread on putting a 3.6L in a 2000 chassis that required a ton of work as explained by someone that has actually done a couple of these in both Boxsters and 996's who was trying to help out someone just starting such a project ("If you want a factory-type situation and maintain all functions and diagnostics etc., you need to replace the DME with the 7.8 DME. To integrate the 7.8 DME, you need to change out the ABS controller, the instrument cluster, the HVAC controller and the DME. Depending on what ABS system your car currently has, you may need to change out the ABS wheel sensors as well. The integration of all components will require rewiring for all controllers as well as likely new connectors for the cluster and likely the ABS controller (again, this depends on the ABS/TC system you have). The CAN bus then needs to be run between the new controllers. The instrument cluster acts as the CAN bus hub so a twisted pair of wires needs to be run from the DME to the cluster, cluster to ABS and cluster to HVAC. You will also need to address the return type/ non return fuel system differences between the engine and chassis.")

All of which somehow sounds like it qualifies as a time-consuming nightmare for most folks that don't have a fully equipped shop at their disposal, and at the end of it you have a "one-off" vehicle.........

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-16-2014 at 06:16 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote