Thread: Savannah, GA
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
JFP in PA

As someone that owns property on HH (North Forest Beach), I have to laugh at your comments.

1) Humidity and bugs. Trick with HH is when you go; be there in June, July, or August and the humidity is staggering while the bugs eat you alive. You also pay rental rates about twice off season rates, have to wait for tee times or dinner reservations. Choose a different time frame, we love late October and the Christmas/New Years holidays, and the place it a different world. In late Oct. the weather is still warm enough to swim in the ocean, no bugs, no humidity, you can easily get tee times on any golf course or a table in any restaurant. I have sat on the beach in front of our house at sunset on Christmas Eve in shorts and a tee shirt; the temperature was 84F. No crowds, no noise.
2) HH is a "controlled" growth community, which means even the McDonald's has to meet planning commission approval, which is why it is hidden back off the road behind trees. They like their quiet and the style of the island, and they work to protect it.
3) The cops are prolific and firm for good reason, people come to the island and think they can do anything they damn well please. Our house is on the ocean, with an in ground pool and Jacuzzi in yard facing the ocean. We have had total strangers walk off the beach and jump into the pool and/or the Jacuzzi while we were at home. They also could not understand why the police that took them away in handcuffs charged them with criminal trespass.
4) The toll on the cross island expressway. If you could have seen what it was like to drive from I-95 to Harbour Town before they built it, you would understand why the property owners nearly unanimously voted in favor of building it. It used to take forever to get anywhere, now it takes just a few min. and couple bucks.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote