View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
recycledsixtie
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
personally i would not assume one way or the other. be prepared for no, live for yes.

definitely not. some people will replace things before they show problems, some people replace things only when the car stops working. get receipts / details of what has been done and work backwards to know what hasn't been done.

under the car. near the radiators if it's been scraped on curbs / parking bumpers. near the rear passenger tire and pull up the carpet in the trunk. look for crust / coolant.

look / smell under the seats.

i have a TIP...

it is possible to sew in a new plastic window to the original top. several members have done it. i think the vinyl will cost around $100, you can sew it yourself or take it to a shop. $0 - $500. i replaced my top with a GAHH. parts + install, ~$1500.

mine only made noise. no shake / shimmy / vibration.

a PPI

i bought my '01 in '09 with 65k miles. it's at 106k miles now with a few repairs - alternator, water pump, AOS, control arm, strut mount, engine mount, coolant reservoir.

i've spent close to $9000 in the 5 years since i owned it (including regular maintenance like tires, brakes, oil changes, etc) and non-required items (headlight and new top). i think i'm probably on the lower end of the "cost of ownership" curve. i do my own basic stuff - oil changes, belts, plugs, etc.
Well said Tony. It's members like you that make this forum great. G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote