View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
tonycarreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Is it safe to assume that if the engine was properly rebuilt that I’ll be able to get another 100k out of her?
personally i would not assume one way or the other. be prepared for no, live for yes.

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that with the miles it has all of the little (nickel and dime stuff) has been replaced ie Mass flow sensor, oxg sensors, coolant tank, etc have all been replaced? If not what should I look for? Will there be any tell tail signs other than OBD codes?
definitely not. some people will replace things before they show problems, some people replace things only when the car stops working. get receipts / details of what has been done and work backwards to know what hasn't been done.

Quote:
Where should I be looking for coolant leaks?
under the car. near the radiators if it's been scraped on curbs / parking bumpers. near the rear passenger tire and pull up the carpet in the trunk. look for crust / coolant.

Quote:
Where should I be looking to make sure that all water channels are clear? I’ve read some horror stories about electrical problems due to clogged water passages and the fact that the computer is under the seat.
look / smell under the seats.

Quote:
It’s a five speed manual trans that has had no work performed on it that is known, what concerns should I have regarding the transmission? I’ve read mostly good things about the manuals being strong and well built. Can you verify this please?
i have a TIP...

Quote:
The top mechanically may work great but from the pic’s above I looks like the back plastic window will need to be replaced soon. Does this require a new top or just the back window area? Any budget numbers to address this??
it is possible to sew in a new plastic window to the original top. several members have done it. i think the vinyl will cost around $100, you can sew it yourself or take it to a shop. $0 - $500. i replaced my top with a GAHH. parts + install, ~$1500.

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that since there is noise coming from the control arm that they will need to be replaced, or is this still a viable sheep fix with new rubber? Or is it like the owners says, no worries! Would I feel this in the steering wheel ie shake / vib ??
mine only made noise. no shake / shimmy / vibration.

Quote:
So what am I missing team?
a PPI

i bought my '01 in '09 with 65k miles. it's at 106k miles now with a few repairs - alternator, water pump, AOS, control arm, strut mount, engine mount, coolant reservoir.

i've spent close to $9000 in the 5 years since i owned it (including regular maintenance like tires, brakes, oil changes, etc) and non-required items (headlight and new top). i think i'm probably on the lower end of the "cost of ownership" curve. i do my own basic stuff - oil changes, belts, plugs, etc.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 05-07-2014 at 03:30 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote