View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
TeamOxford
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
...........but I don't think paint will stick to nylon. You have to dye it, and I doubt the dyes come in Porsche colors.
Yeah, my understanding about painting nylon is the same, but I gave it a shot anyhow. The plugs don't "feel" like 100% nylon; hard to explain.

Anyhow, I boiled the plugs first for about a minute to remove any releasing agent, sanded with 600 grit paper, then cleaned with denatured alcohol. Shot them with gray primer, let them bake in the sun for about an hour, then shot the maroon lacquer.

I don't have any Arena Red Metallic touchup paint, but I do have some Testor's One Coat Lacquer, made specifically for plastics. After again baking in the sun for awhile, I rubbed them out with Meguiar's PlastX, then applied a thin coat of Mother's California Gold Carnauba.

They came out nice and shiny; you can see the metal flakes, which I don't care for, but hey........this is just a trial run. The real test is whether or not the finish will stay put. Bumperplugs would most certainly be the best option, but for a few bucks and some basic materials and time, you could have multiple sets for when you go to a Porsche event, or Cars & Coffee, or when you go to sell the car!

Just sayin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote