Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Bumper plugs for $1.04...

...and a dab of that $10 2oz bottle of touch up paint that you should already have. Got these at Lowes and they have a wide variety of sizes in white and black.

As TO would say,

Just sayin'.......

Old 01-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Unpainted and I still need to clean up the square scuff marks and...the entire front bumper cover

Just to show the fit.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 01-24-2014 at 01:33 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
2002 Boxster S

Garage
They look nice for a white car, but I don't think paint will stick to nylon. You have to dye it, and I doubt the dyes come in Porsche colors.

Let us know how, it comes out, please!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This isn't my idea actually. Found it on another car forum when searching for bumper plugs and just thought I'd pass it along

The guys on that other forum were painting them successfully by first roughing them up with 220 grit sandpaper. Not sure how well it would hold up long term, though. I just wanted something temporary until I decide what to do with both front and rear bumper covers. Both are a little rough and I'm still debating whether to respray or go with a body kit, then respray. Either way, I'll be filling the holes eventually

Anyone with a black or white car could save a few bucks and shipping time easily by picking up some of these. I'm sure that plugs from bumperplugs.com would be a more sensible solution for most.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-24-2014 at 10:26 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Damn Yankee

Garage
I think it's a great idea, at least worth shelling out a buck to try.

I'll pick some up at Lowe's today, shoot them with some maroon lacquer, and post pics.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
...........but I don't think paint will stick to nylon. You have to dye it, and I doubt the dyes come in Porsche colors.
Yeah, my understanding about painting nylon is the same, but I gave it a shot anyhow. The plugs don't "feel" like 100% nylon; hard to explain.

Anyhow, I boiled the plugs first for about a minute to remove any releasing agent, sanded with 600 grit paper, then cleaned with denatured alcohol. Shot them with gray primer, let them bake in the sun for about an hour, then shot the maroon lacquer.

I don't have any Arena Red Metallic touchup paint, but I do have some Testor's One Coat Lacquer, made specifically for plastics. After again baking in the sun for awhile, I rubbed them out with Meguiar's PlastX, then applied a thin coat of Mother's California Gold Carnauba.

They came out nice and shiny; you can see the metal flakes, which I don't care for, but hey........this is just a trial run. The real test is whether or not the finish will stay put. Bumperplugs would most certainly be the best option, but for a few bucks and some basic materials and time, you could have multiple sets for when you go to a Porsche event, or Cars & Coffee, or when you go to sell the car!

Just sayin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #7

Garage
Nice!!! Thanks!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #8

Garage
I did this years ago on my zenith blue S. I bought a bag of plastic plugs from autozone. Found two that fit perfectly. I sanded the tops of them, sprayed with gray primer, then two-three coats of touch up paint. To this day they look great! I didn't expect them to hold up this well for this long at all!

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote