View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:15 AM   #7
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtch
Please explain how power would throw off the balance and handling of a car. Unless the power add ons add a lot of weight, I don't understand how handling or braking would be affected. If a certain car can carry 80 mph through a corner or slalom a course at x mph, the extra hp would not diminish those capabilities. The added hp might mean that you drive further from the power limit of the car (with more power in reserve) but I don't see any performance aspects being diminished by adding power. If you believe differently, please explain, I'd like to know if I'm missing something

On a track or autocross track your average MPH would be higher particularly down the straights so there is a greater chance of over-running the stock brakes. Also, when you get on the gas weight transfer happens. The nose lifts and the rear squats coming out of corners. More power means more weight being transfered on the back tires. That is why it is common to see upgraded brakes and stiffer suspension setups when the power goes up to counteract these things.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote