View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
dghii

I can't believe I forgot this but besides the Z4 and the M Roadster, my current 2000S was purchased off ebay!
Why did I forget (besides getting older)? Well, I found the car on ebay, on a Sunday night in July of 2008, with about 15 hours left in the auction. After searching for close to a year, this car was priced right, listed by private owner and located about 10 miles away!. I contacted the owner Monday morning through ebay prior to the auction close and was fortunate enough to be able to look at and drive the car prior to the end of the auction. What I found was a garage kept, two owner car with 76K miles. Although not flawless, the car appeared to be well cared. The test drive revealed no wierd noises or issues and of course, the car was a blast. I didn't do a PPI but I was able to talk to the indy in town that maintained the car. He assured me that the owner took good care of the car and there were no outstanding issues (to his knowledge).

Since the auction was no reserve and within 12 hours of ending (by the time I'd driven the car), the seller wanted to let the auction play out to the end. Given our location, I was fairly confident that there would not be a huge rush of activity right at the close and I ended up buying the car for just over $15K.

Today, five and a half years later, the car has 115k miles and is currenly a DD. I enjoy it as much as when I bought it and it has been essentially trouble free. Maintenance is up to date and repairs have been limited to wear and tear items that typically need to be replaced on any car given the age and mileage.

I currently own the 2000S, an '84 Alfa Spider and an '04 350Z Roadster. Having sold a 98 Boxster just a few weeks ago. Monday night I was back on ebay looking at my usual suspects. I was almost the high bidder on anothter M Roadster Monday night located in Pensacola, FL. Somebody outbid me in the last 30 seconds (thank goodness!).
What was I thinking bidding on another ragtop??
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote