View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
I'm in the market for an inexpensive fun car to drive- my research has pointed me towards a circa 2003 Boxster S. I've lurked here in the forums for a bit and read the "Thinking of buying a Boxster ? - MUST READ !" -- thanks for all the great info, super helpful.

I've test drove this car: 2003 Porsche Boxster S Everything seems cool, the wheels have some scratching where they've rubbed against a curb and there's a small dent on the rear trunk where some cargo was too big to fit. This is a 2-owner car, he has all the service records, including a recent inspection from a local (Modesto, CA based) import mechanic shop: Kruse-Lucas Imports.

I think the price is fair, but he's not overly motivated to sell (so he represents) and isn't willing to take the car to a Porsche dealership for a PPI (1.5 hour drive each way) and I get that. He says the car is excellent, he know's it and doesn't feel the need to overly convince someone else, that the local inspection should be good enough. I haven't seen that inspection yet but I'm supposed to get a copy tomorrow.

Otherwise there's this car: 2004 Porsche Boxster S but that has a new engine installed. Is that good or bad? From what I understand this new engine would have a different setup that would not allow the IMS bearing to be replaced with the LN retro without engine removal, correct? Haven't contacted this owner yet. He's also 200+ miles away, the first guy is around the corner.

Looking for any direction or words of wisdom- hard to think rationally when I just want to get it and drive! (:

Thanks in advance,
Scott
I'm a bit late to the dance on this thread, but when it comes to PPI's, I'd walk away from anyone that does not want to do one, or starts placing boundaries (who can do it, what can be looked at, who gets to see the data first, etc.) on getting one done. The object of the PPI is to determine the car's current condition and anything that would be needed after purchase. Armed with a dispassionate view of the car's condition, the buyer can enter into serious negotiations on the final price. If the car is as good as the seller says, they have nothing to be concerned about, but having done more than a few of these, you would be amazed at what someone calls "pristine".............