View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I keep hearing that, but I don't know what all the fuss is about. My Boxster came with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I bought it in November, and haven't driven in any temperatures above 40 degrees F. yet (hopefully it'll get above 40 here before the end of March ). I've used it in temps as low as 8 degrees F, on dry pavement, and the tires were fine. It's the same concept as using all-season or snow tires on snowy or icy roads. You have to use some common sense when accelerating, braking and cornering, just like you would on snow or ice, even with the best snow tires. Does that mean the tires work as well as they would above 40? No. So just slow down and enjoy your Boxster. Sorry about the thread hijack, since this was originally about warming up the engine.
Many "summer performance" tires turn nearly dangerous at temps below 30F; we have had more than one customer do significant damage to their cars when summer tires suddenly lost grip ("like being on ice" is the typical comment) on clear, dry roads in the cold. It is no small thing, and one of the reasons tires have temperature usage ranges as well as load ranges.............

As we service the cars year round, I can attest that the tires do tend to break away suddenly and without warning when driven in the cold.