Thread: Honda S2000....
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Duffy3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
the reason why the S2000 feels sluggish...it is the torque curve of the motor. The S2000 I think was rated at 240 hp which is on par with the boxster S and the weight is likely very similar. The S2000 was using only a 2-2.2L motor....supposedly one of the highest output's per liter of a NA engine when it was in production. With the peaky Vtec system, it was tuned for top end power only. A friend of mine bought one a few years after they came out and let me drive it. It had one of the best gearboxes I have ever used. The power band was very peaky and I found my self shifting it at 6500 rpm because I did not want to "dog" his new car even though that is where the engine finally starts to come into it's own.
This is exactly right, the S2000 comes to life at 6.5K and you really have to thrash it to get the best from the engine, albeit between 6.5k and the redline it is simply astounding. Outwith that zone however, the engine is coarse and unresponsive and just plain old hard work , there's just no sense of occasion or drama with the car for 99% of a drive.

Day in, day out, the Boxster is a much better car (I would however have the gearchange quality from the Honda in my Boxster anyday!)
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote