View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
dghii

My .02 cents....
Buy an inexpensive older Box, make sure all regular mantenance is up to date (either by PO or by you) and enjoy!

You mentioned that this will be your is your DD...What if you sink $7K into your car replacing scary things that may not be needed....and you get rear ended...Ouch.

I understand your concern with the IMS etc but, again, you may want to consider keeping your powder dry, so to speak. You are looking at 12-14 year old cars. There may be suspension, brakes, tires or many other items that will need to be replaced. What about if your AC goes out, given this will be your DD.

I currently have two Boxsters...a 2000S (105K miles) that I've had for 4 years and a 98 (117K miles) that I picked up a few months ago due to being a deal too good to pass up. Both cars are fun to drive and nethter car has required major surgery.

From the economics of it..the 98 cost me $5400. I will put a grand into the car bringing the maintenace up and doing taking care of couple of cosmetic items. If the car crapped out tomorrow, I'll have a $2500 roller. I'd be much less money out of pocket than spending a bunch of money on things that could fail.

If replacing the IMS is a show stopper for you, I second the option of finding a car that has already had the work done. It a will be much cheaper option than getting it done right after purchase.

Best of luck on your search and I know you'll enjoy the car.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote