View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Kenny Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Dear Kenny,

You should start double clutching. Having to replace your clutch due to a worn out synchro is the worst feeling in the world. Every time you use your synchro, such as a hard downshift, it is wearing ever so slightly. Eventually they will wear out and you will be forced to shift either without using the clutch or at the very least double clutch.

If you have never felt the need to double clutch, you do not drive your car hard enough. If you've downshifted under braking, just in time to get back on the throttle, lets say going from 3rd to 2nd at ~60mph. (Assuming in an S model where 2nd will do ~72 at redline); You will go from about 4500rpms to 6000. The faster this is done the better, in racing applications at least. If you jump 1500 rpms by simply dropping the clutch it's extremely uncomfortable, especially for your passenger (if any).

All I'm really trying to say is two simple things:
1) Although not "necessary", double clutching slows down the wear on your syncrhos.
2) Double clutching makes for much smoother, faster shifts that are MUCH easier on your transmission.

If you don't believe me, as any of our fellow members that participate in regular track-days.

Happy Boxstering,
~Brad
Rev matching is fine for me downshifting on a daily basis, and suffices. As of now the car isn't tracked, but I'd love to attend a track day. I've heard of people say "double clutch" when cars are going down a drag strip UPSHIFTING, and it makes me slap my forehead.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote