View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #31
Brad Roberts

Balance them. Clean the wheels thoroughly prior to having them balanced. Remove ALL traces of tape/glue/rubber.

The first job given to team newbies for EVERY RACING team in the world.. is wheel cleaner. They are cleaned prior to every single dismount/mount.

Customers paying me to attend track events? I clean the wheels between every round and make sure the weights are taped on after they return from mount/balance.

It takes 5min per wheel. I set them partially into a trash barrel and scrape off the clag

Walk up to any of my cars on grid, and look into the wheels.. spotless..

Jitts:

your way way behind on the GT3 wheels... you have to scuff the area on the rims that the bead sits on. Then.. you have to instruct your mount balance guy to not utilize so much damn LUBE during install. Real race shops/track install guy's use a different lube that evaporates quickly and they know not to use a ton of the sh_t on Hoosiers/Kuhmo's/Toyo's/Slicks.

too many times I have seen people have wheels powder coated, then watch the tires slip big time on the rim throwing the balance off. They have to be scuffed.. all of them.. when generating the braking force of a GT3

I mark all of my wheels at the valve stem with an arrow.. for this exact purpose.. to see if my tire guy is using too much lube
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 04-09-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote