View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #63
pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Wow, that's the oddest thing I've ever heard. You want a sportscar without grip???? It does sound like you want a vintage car. You could just put the cheapest narrow tires you can find on it, that should kill your grip.
I didn't say I wanted no grip. I said I wanted lower grip than is typical with, say, a Boxster, which has too much grip, especially on the rear axle. A little less grip would allow you to get the rear of the car moving around more easily and, as blue200s says, improves the steering, gives you better road feel. Narrower tyres can actually make a car feel more positive on turn in too. Fat tyres give you more grip, but they can make a car feel dull witted, too.

The problem with, say, throwing really ****************ty tyres on the rear axle is that you don't just loose grip. There's the structure of the tyre too - if the sidewall is very weak, for instance, that's not going to be nice for handling.

The GT-86 / BRZ has thin tyres specifically so that you can slide the thing at sane speeds and sane lateral loads. I doubt many people care. Only people who love proper driver's cars will think that's a good idea, and there are hardly any of those.