View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 07:37 AM   #34
Brucelee

1.We do set emissions standards for the world. (As well as the EU).

The Chinese measure how far behind the west they are on emissions standards
by the example we set. While Europe is on Euro 5 standards, China is still trying to adapt to Euro 2.

Clearly we do not SET standards for the Chinese, they have CHOSEN to follow other standards. That is there choice, which it seems to me should aleviate concerns about their buying all those "dirty cars."

"2. OK I have no scientific evidence to suggest that a country 3x's the USA with cars 3x's more toxic is hurting the environment. conclusion: the abscence of evidence means there are no negative effects to the enviroment. Just because you can produce irefutable evidence doesn't mean there isn't damage. Find me a single field of science where that community is unanimous? Cancer? "

Go back to the point you made earlier. If the Chinese are choosing to move their emissions standards up voluntarily, then this so called TOXIC impact on its air quality will be mitigated.

Still, you do not offer up what you would do to deal with these Chinese calamity that you predict? Will you not allow Chinese citizens to purchase cars? Will you not allow car manufacturers to sell cars in China?

What do you propose?

"3. Paul O'Neill aside from being an economist is also the former and long serving CEO of a Alcoa, a company that had minimizing pollution and toxic waste as a corporate responsibility. Has he (a cabinet member of several U.S. Presidents) also been duped by Greens on the reality of Global warming errr "Global climate change"? If so then I don't feel so bad because I'm not as smart as he is."

So, you think Paul O'Neill is smart and he believes in Global warming, so ergo, it must be true? Interesting logic. I guess his opinion is worth more than the temperature readings in the atmosphere and the measurements of the polar ice caps.

Think of all the work we will save for those climate guys now. Paul has spoken!

"4. Short sighted? We've done more to compromise the fiscal and eviromental future of this country in the last 20 years than the previous 200 years of this country existence COMBINED. Pick up 'Running on Empty' by Pete Petersen, a conservative."

Who is this WE that you speak of and what criteria do you use. By all objective measures (many of which I have posted here) significant progress has been made in reducing ALL FORMS of pollutants here in the USA.

I guess you will need to fill me in on this.

"5. Higher Gas prices = INFLATION. hold onto your hat Mr. Bush.
You're about to know what Mr. Carter felt like back in 70's."

As President of the US, what would YOU DO to "control" the price of oil and gasoline? How would YOU increase supply of oil and gas IN THE SHORT RUN?

How much SHOULD gas cost in the US and why?

Oh, and comparing the US economy of 2005 and the 1970s is a complete joke. I won't bore you with the DATA but the inflation rates and interest rates approached 15%. Unemployment up etc etc.

Not a fun time and we have come a long long way.

To wit, today we found out the economy added 146K jobs last month and the unemployment rates dropped to 4.9%

Ah, data, get some!