View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Frodo

As has been said, it's kind of a crap shoot. Having said that, mine's been pretty good so far. Got her with 19K miles a few years ago, now at 59K. Had the dealership do the 30K maintenance (was still under warranty---wanted it on the record that at least that first post-purchase major maintenance was "official", in case something went wrong at some point later). I'll probably do the 60K myself.

Had to work on the alternator a couple years ago...not that difficult a DIY. I do the oil/filter changes every 5K or so. Had a coil pack go on me, which, for some reason, I was unable to diagnose (enlisted professional help). Also had to replace the axle boots, apparently a not-unusual occurrence in an '01S in this mileage range. Got some help with that one, too. (I might have been willing to try that myself, but there's sometimes just not enough hours in the day.) Brakes need bled every couple of years, also not that difficult. Also have replaced a couple of the O2 sensors, again, pretty easy.

It's been a lot more involved than my other car, a Toyota. But you have already figured that out. All in all, I'm very happy I got the Box...drives like nothing else I've ever owned.

In the interests of full disclosure, I guess I should also add that this spring I have plans to replace the motor mount and the water pump (and maybe go with a low temp thermostat?). Brake pads are probably ripe for replacement as well. AND I suspect (though no symptoms yet) I'm pretty much due for a clutch...which then raises the IMS issue. BUT, I'm still havin' fun!!!

Last edited by Frodo; 01-30-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote