View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I'd put it in front of the center radiator in the S, and having a non-S myself, I plan on putting an S front bumper on, and putting it there instead of a 3rd radiator.
Actually, that is a very bad idea. The oil pump systems in these cars cannot handle pumping the oil all the way to the front of the car and then back; the pump is simply not up to the task. A couple of serious track nuts have tried it and it did not end well. Add in the fact that there is very little room in front of the center radiator, for the street you will need to add some type of thermostatic control to prevent "super cooling" under cool/cold ambient temps, and some way to drain and refill all the lines and cooler during an oil change. Now you know why Porsche uses an oil/water heat exchanger mounted on top of the engine................

You are vastly better off running the larger 996 heat exchanger on your base engine, and using the LN 160F stat to lower the coolant and oil temps, as well as extending the life of your oil........

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-30-2010 at 12:44 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote