View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
JFP in PA

I’d be concerned about Braille batteries in the cold as they use a totally different method than all other battery manufacturer’s to determine CCA (Braille uses “conductance testing” rather than the real world 30 seconds cranking at 0F at a minimum voltage of 7.2 as required by the Battery Council International standards), and even with their unusual test methods, their CCA ratings are already much lower than other batteries. I’d be very concerned about how well these units, which were designed for light draw racing applications, will fare in really cold street applications based upon actual experience. We have had a couple customers try the Braille’s on the street, and go back to conventional batteries due poor performance. Yes, they are light, but they are also weaker than conventional batteries. Long before I’d put a Braille on the street, I’d look at an Optima, which is lighter than OEM, maintenance free (you will never have to add water or deal with corrosion), and have proven to outlive the conventional flooded OEM style units………………