View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Daniel R

Boxster vs Carrera

After passing the greater part of summer in Europe, I am back to the real world and back on the forum. With plenty of free time to think, I got to wondering about the following question.

I am interested to hear the point of view of the members on a particular topic of Boxster vs Carrera.

Is your choice to own a Boxster only about the price differential or because it is more of a "true" sports car, or any other reasons?

My decision was based on the cost initially, as in Australia as many of you are aware, cars are very expensive. I paid almost $55k USD for a 2000 Boxster S about 2 1/2 years ago (pre GFC, however they still sell for about $35k USD today) and a 2002 carrera (3.6L) would have cost more than double that, so the choice was an easy one for me.

Since then I have revisited the idea of buying a Carrera, although they do not feel as "sporty" as the Boxster, and although more powerful, are less fun to drive in my opinion. A few guys I know, for whom money is not a factor in their decision, have started off driving a Boxster S, and have then taken a step up into a GT3. They feel that a Carrera is boring to drive after owning a Boxster.

I am just curious as to what people in the US feel and think about the Boxster vs Carrera choice. For us in Aus, Carrera drivers tend to be accounting firm partners and stockbrokers in their 50's having a mid-life crisis.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote