Thread: Actron scanners
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
from the Porsche repair and diagnosis manuals.

But I've never seen much data relating to the other modes and how to interpret data from them.

I have a simple 91xx series Actron and I always figured if things got more complicated than the simple Pnnnn codes, I'd be over my head and need someone really experienced with the M96 engine to interpret the data anyway so no use in having the multiple modes diagnostic capability myself.

Is this the right way of thinking JFP?

You are pretty close, Mike. The more complicated a diagnostic tool becomes; it actually becomes more difficult to interpret. "Modes" are the latest electronic way to "slice and dice" the data in an attempt to correctly diagnose the problem the first time in cars that seem to add more sensors and electronics every day. For our work on Porsche's, we use a 9145 Actron and the Durametric "Pro" system. I have had a chance to test one of the newer Actron 9575 Autoscanner Plus units for a week or so. The newer unit has some interesting capabilities, such as a USB port for web based updating, or the scrolling list of possible issues for a given code; but I can honest ly say that I'm not about to run out and buy one unless the 9145 suddenly takes a dive.

As for your comments on diagnostics in general, Porsche (like most other OEM’s) has never made it easy for independents to gain access to the diagnostic “decision trees” that let you work your way thru a given code. It becomes even more of an issue if the problem involves their “protected code” areas, which most general use scanners can’t even see. As the result, a lot of work is done based upon the hard data you can get from a scanner, and then apply a heavy dose of intuition gained from years of experience to form your own decision tree. And the biggest problem with “gut feelings” is the matter of whose gut is doing the feeling….

For the serious “backyard” wrench, the new Actron (which actually costs less than the 9145 did when I bought it years back) would be a fine addition to the tool box because it can be used on anything made after 1996, is updateable via the web, and it is reasonably priced. For the more “average” backyarder, a cheaper unit would probably do fine. But you always need to go into scanners with your eyes open, as everything from a Boxster, to a Corvette, to your garden variety Caddy have restricted code areas where these basic units are going to be of little help.