View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
John Y

Thanks all, please keep the good advice coming.

I have been looking for about 45 days and have been relying on porsche.com, autotrader, cars.com and even e-bay to see what's out there. The websites of a couple of dealers I have experience with as well, just in case their inventory wasn't making it onto those nationwide sites. I just took a look at Cars.com again based on Mike's advice - the one that really jumped out at me was a newly-listed CPO at Hennessy Porsche in ATL where the price is right and the miles OK; unfortunately, the Cocoa interior, lack of Xenons and presence of power seats combine to make it a no-go for me, in that order. There are alot of Autos in that group too so that thins it down, and I do not want a black car as I already lease a black GTI. Yellow's out, too.

I am certainly willing to travel, in fact it would be fun - already checked out a base 07 CPO at porsche of Reno when I was in Tahoe to ski at the beginning of the month, but that car had a slipping clutch, at 9K miles I suppose the complication is that I would need to fly out to drive and decide if it's a car I want to buy; no way I am doing it sight unseen, so there is always the potential for a long trip home empty-handed, or extra half plane ticket, etc. I would like to keep it to within about 500 miles for that reason.

KBB's numbers are the lowest, Edmunds is the middle ground, and NADA Guides says a CPO 05 S with those miles in excellent condition is worth 33.8, which is right there.

Randall, I'd love a 3.4 and had driven a few before I bought my first Boxster, but the prices aren't quite there yet, for the most part, except for a couple of cars with 40 or 50K on them. I could wait another year and I think there would be a number of 07s doable in my sub-$35K sweet spot then, but I don't want to! I am cool with the 3.2's performance anyway - I found the 2.7l 245 hp 07 base model I had to be more than acceptably-powered, once you learn how to get the most out of it.

I am looking at a couple of others as well, including base 06 cars with 10K miles or less that may be doable for sub $30-k, with CPO.

Also, another question: A PPI on a CPO car from a Porsche dealer - really? I never knew that? I thought that was something only done on private sales, or cars from non-Porsche dealers. Good to know...
Finally, can someone point me to a link on how to read/interpret the DME rev-counter printout that I will ask for?

Thanks!

Last edited by John Y; 04-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote