View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
And what I mean here are items that potentially can leave you stranded if they fail, like an AOS, water pump, alternator, and idlers/pulleys. Not long ago, I had my water pump crap out on me, which almost left me stranded (luckily, I had enough time to drive it to the dealer). I actually had thought about replacing the water pump at 60k miles as a preventative, but it died on me at 59k. Lol. I guess my point is do you replace these things even when they're not broke, knowing that they probably will break at certain mileage, or do you chance it and keep driving and hoping it will not happen?

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about replacing my AOS and all my idlers/pulleys this Spring, but it's not as if Porsche recommends replacement of these items at any set mileage or age interval. However, I just hate getting stranded, and failures of any of these items means I'll get stranded. I even change out my battery every 4 yrs as a preventative. Lol. So, what are your thoughts? Leave well enough alone or change em out?
There are some obvious cases that make sound economic sense for doing “preventative maintenance” on these cars, usually due to the design layout and component interactions and work flow (doing the IMS, RMS and clutch all at one time is an example). For example, if you have a base car and are thinking about going to the larger “S” oil cooler, it would be a good time to do any cooling system items (thermostat, water pump, etc.) because you are going to be opening up and draining the cooling system anyway, so why do it twice. To do the oil cooler, you need to remove the tube from the air box to throttle body, so why not change the air filter while you are in there. Something like the serpentine belt that can both stop you dead on the side of the road, as well as damage your engine, should be changed as part of normal service rather than waiting until it needs it as many auto part outlets do not stock these belts, even though they are a $20 item. We check the tensioners and idlers whenever we change out a belt; and check the water pump and alternator for bearing noise or play as well, but we do not change them unless they need it.

As for the AOS, we watch the earlier cars closely as then tend to have more issue than the ones with the redesigned units. That said, if you are in the engine bay for something else, you might want to consider changing it if it is an early unit or shows the slightest signs of going south.