View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
What are peoples' opinion on preventative maintenance?

And what I mean here are items that potentially can leave you stranded if they fail, like an AOS, water pump, alternator, and idlers/pulleys. Not long ago, I had my water pump crap out on me, which almost left me stranded (luckily, I had enough time to drive it to the dealer). I actually had thought about replacing the water pump at 60k miles as a preventative, but it died on me at 59k. Lol. I guess my point is do you replace these things even when they're not broke, knowing that they probably will break at certain mileage, or do you chance it and keep driving and hoping it will not happen?

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about replacing my AOS and all my idlers/pulleys this Spring, but it's not as if Porsche recommends replacement of these items at any set mileage or age interval. However, I just hate getting stranded, and failures of any of these items means I'll get stranded. I even change out my battery every 4 yrs as a preventative. Lol. So, what are your thoughts? Leave well enough alone or change em out?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 02-25-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote