Thread: Flashing CEL
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Got done at work today, and went out and started the Boxster. The Check Engine Light came on, and it was the dreaded (from what I've heard) flashing CEL. I shut the car down, then decided I wanted to at least move it back into an actual parking spot (I had started to back out). So I re-started it, and moved it back.

When I started it to re-park it, the CEL (flashing or otherwise) did NOT come back on, so I let her idle for a couple minutes. Still no light.

Tried calling the local stealership...for some odd reason, nobody answered after like 20 rings. (This was 3:40 in the afternoon---I guess they closed early to go spend some of the huge amounts of profits they take in repairing Pcars! )

So I called an indy shop that I used (on recommendaiton of another 986 member) to do my axle boots and repack CV joints. He told me it was likely tied to the ignition and that, when I restarted it, it had gotten into a slightly different position and hence no CEL was displayed. "Should I drive it?" I asked. "Drive it" was his reply.

Everything seemed smooth the trip home (about 10 miles): Engine sounded the way it usually sounds and no CEL seen.

What do you think? Ignition-related or not? If so, is it fixin' to need replacing before long? Should I proactively take her in to be checked out or not?

If the DME tripped a flashing CEL, there will be a stored or pending code, get the system read ASAP………………
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote