View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Fred Demara

I don't know if this will help you, but I did the very same thing about 20 years ago on an old nissan pickup.

I was pretty sure the cam didn't move, but was very sure the crank had. I could find the cam timing marks, but not the crank marker - So I inserted a long pencil (eraser side down) into the #1 piston spark plug hole, and gently rotated the crank until the piston pushed the pencil to it's highest point (tdc). Be careful, you have to keep a hand on the pencil, and keep it straight, if you put it in sidewides, it'll snap, and you'll have half a pencil in your cylinder - and make sure to break the lead tip off before you start.

another word of caution - don't rotate the crank "all the way around" to find tdc, rotate it back and forth, gently - make sure your spark plugs are all removed, or you'll feel pressure (at least you should be feeling lots of pressure with the plugs in) and think you're hitting something.

good luck, keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Cam cover is off, auxillary shaft was moved for sure, I have the Fiat crank tool made specially for turning the engine. What damage can the auxillary shaft do? I have not yet determined what it does, I was thinking oil pump. This car is a 1971 has 50,200 on it, no winters, I am now seriously concerned about the engine and I'm really not sure how to put this thing back together B, any other ideas?

The manual only says to recheck the timing after belt replacement, not how to correct any errors, or how to carefully do this. The bearing was rusted and ready to go, I'll be upset of I cause the demise of said engine trying to prevent the demise...

PS I think the pic you posted is a Eurospec, spiders didn't have round marker lights, they are rectangles in US form. assuming I don't wreck it, here's one of the best examples in the entire country.. I need to know the relationship of the crank pulley to the auxillary shaft timing mark, then I could just realign them, right?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee32/firesphotons2/fiat001.jpg