View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Brad Roberts

Chef,

It sounds like the cable that runs closest to the driver at the shifter has come out of the rear cable support that is mounted to the passenger side of the tranny. The drivers side cable handles the left to right motion of the shifter and translates it to the tranny. The part above he is showing you can also fail and give you the issue you are reporting. The part above he is showing us is at the base of the shifter and on the driver side of the shifter. That coupler goes to the cable that handles the side to side translation from shifter to cable. Typically I see the front to rear motion cable connector break!! Not the one he posted... BUT... two times this week now people have shown me pics of this side to side motion piece broken.

My suggestion? After determining it is a shifter problem or a cable problem? If it is the shifter? Buy a new shifter. New 997 stock shifter retails for $175 and I can barely keep them on the shelf!!

The rear plate: It is a heat shield to keep the heat off the shifters cables. Heat from the muffler/cats. It is just in front of the muffler behind the passenger side wheel.

Item 11 fails 2x more often than item 10 and both run about $15 retail.

Then the cables pop out of item 12 (it bolts to the transmission)

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote