Thread: Xenon for 987
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
RandallNeighbour

the eBay link are bluish bulbs that look cool but don't do much to project more light on the road. They are advertised as "xenon" but they are not HID or High Intensity Discharge lamps.

The $200-300 kits are retrofit kits that put true HID bulbs in your existing lamp housing.

The problem with the retrofit kits is that they cannot provide you with the control box that points the lamp upward for high beam, and they utilize the existing reflector in the housing, which is far wider than the beam reflector in the litronic head units from the factory. This results in brighter light, but not focused light. Lots of people complain that cars with retrofitted kits like these blind them when they are in the driver's seat of an oncoming car... but I haven't experienced this personally, so it's just what I've heard.

If I were you, I'd ask around on the forum to find a member whose done the retrofit and see if they're happy. I cannot recall any 987 owners who have done it or if it's even available for sale.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote