Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
cartagena

Xenon for 987

Could someone direct me to a good place to buy Xenon lights for a 987 that presently has standard factory lights in it?

I am a little confused about how these lights work so I would like some advise as well.

I see some "kits" include several pieces and cost a couple hundred bucks. I then also see some other guys selling just bulbs without any reference to the need to purchase a kit.

What exactly do I need to buy? Here is an example on ebay that is only $40 bucks. Click here to see eBay link.

Is what this guy is selling on ebay the same as buying a kit?

I do not really care about the price, I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #2

What you want is the whole headlamp assembly and the wiring harness and level controller.

Sunset Imports in Oregon would be my best recommendation for price. They sell at something like 12% over their hard cost from Germany.

Bulbs might make your light a tad brighter and give it a bluish hue, but frankly, they're a waste of money. If they don't burn your plastic headlamps, they'll burn out very quickly compared to factory bulbs.

I replaced my headlamp assemblies with factory xenons and have been very satisfied. They aren't cheap though. You'll probably pay north of $2000 USD for a set and the controller plus shipping.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
cartagena

$2000

Ummm.....when I said I did not care about price I was thinking $40 being the low end and $200-$300 being the high end.

Maybe there is another option? What I really want to know is what is the difference between the kits that sell for a couple hundred bucks and the lights in my link.

Thanks though for your recommendation. If I was not so cheap I might do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
What you want is the whole headlamp assembly and the wiring harness and level controller.

Sunset Imports in Oregon would be my best recommendation for price. They sell at something like 12% over their hard cost from Germany.

Bulbs might make your light a tad brighter and give it a bluish hue, but frankly, they're a waste of money. If they don't burn your plastic headlamps, they'll burn out very quickly compared to factory bulbs.

I replaced my headlamp assemblies with factory xenons and have been very satisfied. They aren't cheap though. You'll probably pay north of $2000 USD for a set and the controller plus shipping.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #4

the eBay link are bluish bulbs that look cool but don't do much to project more light on the road. They are advertised as "xenon" but they are not HID or High Intensity Discharge lamps.

The $200-300 kits are retrofit kits that put true HID bulbs in your existing lamp housing.

The problem with the retrofit kits is that they cannot provide you with the control box that points the lamp upward for high beam, and they utilize the existing reflector in the housing, which is far wider than the beam reflector in the litronic head units from the factory. This results in brighter light, but not focused light. Lots of people complain that cars with retrofitted kits like these blind them when they are in the driver's seat of an oncoming car... but I haven't experienced this personally, so it's just what I've heard.

If I were you, I'd ask around on the forum to find a member whose done the retrofit and see if they're happy. I cannot recall any 987 owners who have done it or if it's even available for sale.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
cartagena

So....has anyone done a retrofit on a 987?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

You'll be LUCKY to get it done with factory parts for less than two grand, just so's you know. I wouldn't say it's worthwhile to do this.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #7

I'd had three previous cars with HID and the Bi-zenon option was amust in my shopping. If it didn't have them, I moved on to the next car.
All of my other HID cars were just HID on low beam and standard halogen high beams. WOW!!! What a difference with high beams also being HID!!
There are lots of rednecks in my area who just leave their damned trucks on high beam. They're sitting high enough that your high beams don't bother them, so screw you, they won't lower their beams even if you flash your high beams at them. The assheads lower them when I'm driving the box........
Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
You'll be LUCKY to get it done with factory parts for less than two grand, just so's you know. I wouldn't say it's worthwhile to do this.
I disagree. I don't know what your roads are like, but if you do alot of night driving, I'd still say the 2 grand is worth it.
Again, I will not own another car without them. Period.