View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #28
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
I don't think anyone is overreacting. I'd post my complaints about my engine failing.

I will disagree with your statement that these are only great cars during the warranty period (and a majority of forum members would side with me). Mostly because that's a pretty vague statement. Every car is great under warranty!

Am I wrong to say the main difference between a car under warranty and car out of warranty is who pays for repairs? If one can't afford the maintenance on the car, they can't afford the car. If one can't afford the car, then your statement would be accurate. Otherwise, what makes it not so great? The chance that the engine might fail?

@Jaxonalden
I think even a car with a clear/desirable history can still crap out, as in the case of 2001saxster.
Well, this is all subjective. I don't think having a car with an engine that is overaly at risk for grenading is a great car. We of course are not talking about the cost of maintenance, we are talking about the cost of a new engine.

Large difference there, at least to me.

Can I afford to replace an engine? Certainly I can. Do I want to? Ah, no!

Would I own a used boxster without a warranty? No, I would not. Anyone is free to take that risk, just not for me, thanks.

Now, to make sure that no one thinks that I am totally risk adverse, I have a Lexus with 128K miles on it. Love the car, and it has no warranty. I am worried.

Not really. Could the engine go tomorrow. Yes.

Will it cost 12K for another? No.

Its all pereptual, nothing here is really factual as only Porsche has the data and they ain't talking.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote