View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Lil bastard

I had an original Series 1 - '79. It was great fun, but I have to admit, I liked my 240Z much more.

The Mazda rev'd great, but felt much more the China Doll compared to the 'Z' - the 'Z' could be whipped like a draught horse so long as you didn't get it wet.

Not a fair comparison, I know, but owning them both, that's my impression.

I'm not sure I agree the Boxster will cost more in terms of constant dollars.

I've owned mine 10 yrs. come October and my maintenace costs have been <$500/yr. and that includes consumables.

Granted, it is a sunny Sunday car w/ only 25+k mi. But while I did swap the pads (when I had the calipers off for painting), and did the obligatory oil, brake fluid, plug, drive belt, cabin filter, coolant, powersteering fluid, battery changes + a set of tires through the years (coming up on #3 due to age in a month), the only actual mechanical issue I've ever had was a dirty Transmission switch - cleaned up by the dealer for $167. I also did a DIY tranny filter/gasket/fluid swap (due to a leaky pan gasket) for around $240 (incl. tools). Yes, I do all my own maintenance which helps considerably.

I'm still on the original RMS, ignition switch, Coolant reservoir, AOS, OČ sensors, plug tube 'O' rings, MAF, Seatbelt latches, Window regulators, Top and plastic window, etc. Really no issues whatever.

Yea, I understand there'll be a reckoning, and probably sooner rather than later, but if it's a 2nd car (in my case 5th) that you don't constantly beat the P*ss out of, the Boxster can be a very good car with minimal maintenance cost, at least in my experience. True, these cars had some issues, but really no more than any other true Sports car.

I have a dedicated separate Track and Auto-X car, even though my Box has done both. Even when you look at the general experiences of those here, most aren't going to the poor house with these cars. Most have had a positive experience.

Absolutely, there were those cars which came out of the gate with issues, more still which were not properly maintained in a former life by PO's and were bought used by members here. Then there are those who think they can treat them like 5.0 Mustangs (which you can't) and as I sift through these threads, lots of guys who use their cars hard have more problems.

Yea, part 'X' for a mazda costs $100 while the Porsche equivalent costs $250, but it's always been that way - Porsches were never cheap throughout their history.

Do your homework, wear out lots of shoe leather and keyboards, and you'll find a car worth owning. Don't, and you'll have lots of stories to tell.

I think that if you have a history with Sports Cars in general, the Boxster will be great. It is, IMO, a douse of cold water in the face for many who have transitioned from a Civic or such, even a mustang, to their 1st true Sports Car.

In my day, you started with an MGB, Bugeye or Spitfire. When those grenaded, they were easy and cheap to fix - times have changed.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-21-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote