View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Snipped

Any updates on what happened with this? Curious if a shift linkage change worked, or if it was a new transmission, or what?

I have a 2001S with the same issues described below--second pops out with a grind if not held sometimes, it's worse when cold, and it doesn't seem to happen if I double-clutch, which I shouldn't have to do.

First attempt at fixing was to replace the motor mount, which improved things a lot (it was far too easy to hit reverse instead of first, and downshifting occasionally wasn't possible--simply wouldn't go into second at all from third or higher--both problems cured).

The intermittent nature of the problem, and the vast improvement from the motor mount, makes me think shift linkage. The effectiveness of double-clutching makes me think synchros.

The guy at the shop told me you couldn't get parts for this transmission, but Kurt's experience seems to dictate otherwise assuming these are the same transmission (I'm dismayed changing the synchros didn't help). And I'm inclined to try the shift linkage first, as that will be cheaper.

Any experiences are of interest--this forum alerted me to the motor mount problem, which was very helpful!
Snipped is offline   Reply With Quote