View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Brucelee

Talking

I will stand by my statement that in the long run, all cars depreciate. Yes, you can find rare examples, such as when the original zr-1 came out and guys were paying premiums. However, for the kind of cars we are talking about here. A Box S, when you buy new and keep for say, three years, you have higher depreciation and interest than when you buy a three year old model and keep that for three years.

Then you factor in mechanical costs and do your comparison. My point simply is that as investments go, cars are not! There have been dozens of studies to support this simple fact.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but if you buy a Boxster as an "financial investment" you will be very unhappy with your return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Actually not all cars depreciate. ANd I'm not referring to collectibles.
A friend and his family buy exclusively Mercedez and have been doing so for over 30 years. One member purchased a very high end model which was very hard
to get in this area (or maybe everywhere else). Some how people found out that he got this Merc and were calling him wanting to buy the car. Some offers were as high as $20,000 above what he paid, he's very wealthy and very crazy about Mercs. So he kept it. He also has a 1990 SL 500 that has about 6,000 miles! THis past year he had a bad experience at the dealer and retalliated by buying a BMW 7 series. and driving onto the Merc lot.
(He took it back after six months because he couldn't stand the I drive)

I guess its about Supply and Demmand sometimes with cars.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote