View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #14
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Very nice! Is that a metallic black you used? Now you just need to de-amber those side markers.
Believe me, it's exactly what I thought when i looked at it in the driveway..."deamber...OK, I've held out long enough!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Now I remember who bought that house I loved so much. I couldn't remember for the life of me!

Oh yeah, the wheels look great too!
Ha, ha...thanks! We love the place. It backs up to Loomis Trail Golf Club, too. My backyard is always mowed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
Nice!

Can you tell us more about your technique?

How did you sand (by hand, machine, etc.). What paper/grit combos? Did you have to repair any roadrash? If so, how?

What primer/paint did you use? Where did you get it? How did you apply it?
Sure, but you may be surprised!
First and foremost? I super cleaned everything with an orange based cleaner 3 times to get rid of all the brake dust and road grime. Then I used Acetone to final clean before I ever started sanding anything.
I used an 80 grit sandpaper wheel on a portable drill to get rid of the curb rash. I hand sanded everything down to 1000 wet starting at 400/600/800/1000 depending on how bad it was and when I was doing it.
For paint I use Rustoleum...Yup From Sandable primer, Metallic Black to Clear Enamel! All from Lowes for probably $6/can. I do use a spray attachment that plugs onto the top which helps spray technique. But also important, I warm every can of paint up in warm water and double shake prior to each time I shoot. I use many thin coats. I bet there are 10+ coats on these guys!

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
hey there,
just have to say that your car is looking sharp.
didn't think i was going to like the rims until you showed the finished project.
nice work.
i know they're 18s but can you post the tire sizes and the rim offsets/widths if you know them.
thanks
The wheels are SSR GT-10's The tires are 265/40/ZR/18 back and 235/40/ZR/18

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 01-02-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote