View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman
Hi Guys !
Thanks for the many responses !
I initially got the idea from reading an article in wired magazine : a guy (Alex Roy) who broke the cannonball record crossing America from east coast to west coast in under 32 hours and 7 minutes : floor it ! : check it out : link to article
Roy drove an E39 BMW M5 (hoo-ha!) equipped with:
"Randolph highway patrol sunglasses, 20-gallon reserve fuel tank, Tasco 8 x 40 binoculars fitted with a Kenyon KS-2 gyro stabilizer, military spec Steiner 7 x 50 binoculars, Hummer H1-style bumper-mounted L-3 Raytheon Night Driver thermal camera and LCD dashboard screens, front-and-rear-mounted sensors for a Valentine One radar/laser detector, flush bumper-mount Blinder M40 laser jammers, redundant Garmin Street Pilot 2650 GPS units, preprogrammed Uniden police radio scanners, ceiling-mount Uniden CB radio with high-gain whip antenna. Check. Check. Check."

Not that i need all that stuff but not getting caught doing 110 mph going to work in the morning is kind of important... I have about a 30 minute commute and notice 1 or 2 highway cops on a regular basis. Over the years I’ve come to know their "hiding spots" but last week one of them almost got me. I was doing about 95 mph left lane (3 lanes) with a silly pt cruiser in the middle lane trying to pass me - hahaha! - As we came up the hill I saw him go to the right lane. I remembered a cop being over the hill on several occasions and as I went to the middle lane and took my foot off the gas I saw him out of the car (left lane side)- aiming the laser ! - I went slightly on the brakes bringing me back to 70 mph. Max is 65 mph - cop didn't move. This is BEFORE I got my radar detector. So I got away clean.

After reading that article I was thinking about adding the Scanner; 1. You can listen in on truckers who will mention the location of the cops. 2 . you can overhear "speeding cars" being called-in 3. you can hear the trunk signal from cops leaving their car. The car signals the officer and creates a "link" between the officer and car - that signal can be intercepted.

OK: i can't afford buying a digital $500 scanner... - I guess I’ll keep dreaming of night vision sensors, IR force fields, heat sensors and all those other gizmo's I can't afford anyway now the only thing I need is a co-pilot that can spot a cop on an overpass with the engine idling and laser ready (like those cops in Vandalia Ohio, always do).

Ciao
BartMan

ps : rick3000 : when you mention phone connector under the central console, could you elaborate on how to access that? Thanks !
How about it if you slow down, save on tickets, gas, tires etc. and possibly save someone else's life?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote