View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Brucelee

"Brucelee, i didnt know you were a dealer... i was thinking about selling my box and getting an M3 cab. I decided i wanna keep my boxster as its a stunning machine and pull enough cash togther and still get my M3 CAB.

anyways i was thinking about re-sraying the car? would this be ok? the BMW main dealer is going to do the job at £5700 whoch is about $11200 but it will be a great job. Would this effect re-sale value as it will be the same colour? just i saw your post about paintwork.."

I assume we are talking about respraying the BMW as that is the dealer you mentioned. In any event, my comments pertain to either car.

The issue of re-spray is very much tied to what the condition of the existing paint is. In general, on cars like Porsche and BMW, a re-spray is the kiss of death, value wise. It simply is a very negative issue for MOST buyers, who want original and if possible, pristine paint. This obviously changes if we are talking a very old car that needs to be re-stored.

This would suggest that respraying simply to get another color is a big no-no.

If you paint is truly trashed and there is other body damage, it may be a wash. That is, if the value is already cratered, it may be a trade off.

I don't know the London market but I would NEVER spend $11K on a re-spray of either a Box or a BMW here in the states. It would simply never work out.

BTW-NO matter how good a re-spray is, we dealers can always tell that it is been done. We use paint meters to measure thickness and this always shows on a re-spray.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote