View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 AM   #22
Brucelee

"The problem with the VTEC engines is that they're not much fun on the street. On the track, when you can use the gearbox to keep the motor in the powerband all the time without the cops giving chase it's perfect. On the street, you can never hit that 8,000-9,000 RPM range in any gear but first, and there's no low end on those motors. So where the Boxster has pickup from - and is fun to drive at - pretty much any rpm range from 2,500 rpm up, those Hondas/Acuras are 2nd gear cars only on the street "

Bingo! The same goes for the VTEC motorcycle. I have a VFR and it is a great bike. However, the later versions had the VTEC motor and I rode one and hated it. My current VFR has nice low end torque and in everyday riding is much more pleaurable than the newer model, that DOES have more power over 8000 rpm.

RE: C5, I love the car, have owned several and sold many more. It is simply not the same car and I think few Porsche and Corvette owners swap cars over time. The C5 and 6 are brutes and totally fun to drive. But it is a very large car and much more crude in the way it gets things done.

Of course, if you are a dealer like me, you CAN have both and I often do, so I have a nice way to compare.

I had an S2000 once and was unimpressed. Too much work to go fast!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote