View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
FrayAdjacent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
There are couple of things that stick out with the car being impractical;

1-Only 200 miles before a recharge isn't acceptable for me,the closest auto-x place is 160 miles road trip,that leaves me with 40 miles of fun,but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a full 40 while I'm auto-xing.

2-No matter how hard they try,they will never produce anything that will match the TRUE sound of a car's engine. I've seen a Pimp My Ride episode where they installed some sound gizmo to try and make a van sound like an Austin Martin......
Besides,just the fact that I know it's simulated will take away from the fun.

3-Plugging in cords to charge/maintain stuff is a pain. I only plug my battery maintainer in if I know the car is going to sit for near a week+,I don't like getting the extension cord out,plugging in stuff,then hooking up the maintainer and then leaving a cable running across the garage floor.

Itemized:

1. It's limited range and requires a relatively long charge, that's for sure. For the Tesla, they should come out with something like this - a generator on a trailer. Connect it to the car to power and recharge the car while on longer road trips. Similar things have been done with other EVs. The Chevrolet Volt will actually have a generator onboard, although the car won't be a 'performance' car, just a commuter.

2. You don't buy an EV for 'engine sound'. Asinine thing to bring up when talking about an EV. Oh, and it's ASTON Martin, not Austin. (Astons are sexy fockin cars... I test drove one once)

3. You plug in your cell phone, right? Major hassle! You plug in your laptop, right? MAJOR hassle! I think the tradeoff is this - you plug your car in (how often depends on how much you drive) at home instead of having to stop at the gas station every so often.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote